Monday, July 9, 2012

Welcome All!

Well, here goes . . . I'm starting out on this new adventure of blogging!  I've enjoyed reading other teacher's blogs so very much that I thought I'd add to the unsurmountable pile of cool ideas.  My blog will probably seem a little like it has a multiple personality disorder, as that is how I feel being both a mommy and a Kindergarten teacher.  Before I had my daughter, teaching was my life . . . I poured all of myself into it, and my students were my babies.  Once I had my daughter though, that all changed.  It was like the rug had been yanked out from under me.  My heart was overwhelmed with love for my daughter, and teaching became "my job."  That was a very hard first year.  I didn't know how to balance myself between the two . . . especially since I'm unfortunately a huge perfectionist, and I have very firm beliefs in how I run my classroom.  I had also been raised by a stay-at-home mom who was absolutely the same way about raising me, as I had been about running my classroom . . . a perfectionist.  So, that was my example and expectation of myself about how to be a mom.  Well, I think I was going to drive myself into the ground trying to be perfect in all situations.  In the middle of my virtual melt-down, I discovered Teachers Pay Teachers, and the amazing world of blogging.  All of you amazing teachers (and mommies) out there have really helped me achieve what I wanted to achieve in my classroom, all the while lessening my work, so that I could enjoy my daughter more (who is sitting my lap as I write :) )  All of your ideas and lessons have gotten me out of the resentment rut of my job, back into being excited about teaching.  I've even started my own TPT store, so that I can give back maybe a fraction of what I received.  Hopefully, one day, I'll make enough to start a job share so that I can have one day off from teaching to spend with my cutie-patootie daughter.  I'm really excited to see where this new world will take not only me, but other teacher/mommies as well.      

6 comments:

  1. Welcome to the blogging world! Your blog is adorable! Great first post...I can't wait to read more.

    Patti
    One Class, One Sound

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  2. I love your story. I can't wait to hear even more from you!
    Christi ツ
    Ms. Fultz’s Corner

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I absolutely adore working with you!

      Delete
  3. Your blog is just adorable! I love Christi's work and she just finished a blog design for me that I will use with my parents and students in the fall.
    My oldest son just graduated high school, and I can tell you that after 18 yrs, I still struggle with balancing my life as a mom and a teacher.

    I left my public school teaching job to be a SAHM for a few years with the 2 youngest. Now, I teach in a private school where they attend school. I've had to make huge financial sacrifices, but being just down the hall from my 2 babies is all so worth it!

    Your Eric Carle decorations look amazing! What a fun party! I can't wait to read more posts!
    Lauren
    Teacher Mom of 3

    ReplyDelete